Sunday, April 26, 2009

Musee d'Orsay and Le Marais





















































































(Pictures: Musee d'Orsay, Shakespeare and Company, Musee de Picasso, Notre Dame at sunset, me, Nadia and Gramzie)

Today we went to the Musee d'Orsay in the morning. This is probably the second most popular museum in Paris, next to the Louvre. I really enjoyed this visit. They have a diverse collection of materials, and an especially broad collection of paintings, which I really enjoyed viewing. My favorite section was the Impressionist rooms, but I think that's the favorite of a lot of people! Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Van Gogh, and Sisley (who we learned about in Moret-sur-Loing) were among the artists represented.

After touring the museum, we met Gramzie's friend Nadia. She was an exchange student when she was in high school with my great aunt and uncle, and is a professional interpreter. It was a really neat experience to spend the afternoon with her. We ate lunch at a charming little French tea house and then walked around part of the city with her. We saw the coolest little book shop I've ever seen, Shakespeare and Company - floor to ceiling covered in books! It was great. Then she took us to Le Marais, a famous neighborhood in Paris. There are so many little streets filled with cute shops and gardens, and it was great to walk around and get a feeling for the area. Gramzie and I really enjoyed being shown the city by a person who lived there many years.

We went to dinner at a restaurant called Les Editeurs - another book themed establishment! It was really cute. We hadn't made any set plans for our time that evening, so Gramzie and I decided to go on a sightseeing river cruise after dinner. I'm really glad we did this. We got to see a new perspective of Paris and view many of the major monuments by night! It was really pretty.

Tomorrow we head to the Louvre!

No comments: